Tourism and outdoor recreation are global industries. At OSU, TRAL majors on both campuses have opportunities to go abroad to explore the sustainable ecotourism practices of other countries and cultures, experience their recreation and public lands, and to develop valuable skills for a career in sharing the outdoors with others.
With advanced planning with your academic and study abroad advisors, you can fulfill TRAL degree requirements while staying on track for graduation in your intended timeframe. You can use financial aid and university, college and externally-sourced scholarships to fund your experience on one of our credit-bearing programs.
Exchange & University-based Programs
Typically a semester or academic year in length, these are often the most immersive and affordable type of international experience. Integrated into a host university's academic model and student community, students can take a broad range of courses that can be applied to their OSU degree. These programs are great options for TRAL students, and OSU offers an expansive list of options around the world. Some popular options for previous students include:
- University of Canterbury (New Zealand)
- University of British Columbia (BC, Canada)
- Bangor University (Wales)
- University College Cork (Ireland)
- Lincoln University (New Zealand)
- Deakin University (Australia)
Check out all of OSU's exchange universities here.
These short-term programs are popular as they are typically offered over Spring, Winter, or Summer breaks and can fit easily into most degree plans. They are led by OSU faculty around a specific theme or focus. COF offers several faculty-led programs annually (or every other year) that have been specifically designed for our students:
- Land of the Long White Cloud: Ecosystems of New Zealand
- Costa Rica: An Immersion in Culture + Nature
- Oil Palms + Orangutans: Forest Conservation in Malaysian Borneo
- Mountains to the Sea: Ecosystems of Chile
- Forest to Frame: Sustainable Manufacturing + Design in Alpine Europe
Check out all of OSU's faculty-led program offerings here.
Internships & Research
International internships allow students to pursue professional-level work experience overseas while receiving academic credit and meeting degree requirements for work experience. Most internships are a minimum of ten weeks in duration and can take place any time of the year. The College of Forestry and partner programs offer TRAL internships all over the world.
- Visit the COF International Internships page to learn about current offerings and the application process. A few great options for TRAL majors include:
- Huilo Huilo Biological Reserve (Chile)
- Gorilla Guardians Village (Rwanda)
- MUBFS - Makerere University Biological Field Station (Uganda)
- KAFRED - Kibale Association for Rural and Environmental Development (Uganda)
- Visit our Stories Blog to read about fellow students who have interned abroad to get ideas of what is possible!
- Look into IE3 Global Internships as well!