The sustainable management of natural resources is an issue that impacts communities both locally and globally. At OSU, NR majors on all campuses (including E-campus!) have opportunities to go abroad to more deeply investigate how other countries and cultures are working toward meaningful solutions and to develop valuable skills to prepare for making significant contributions to global issues.
With advanced planning with your academic and study abroad advisors, you can fulfill NR degree requirements while staying on track for graduation in your intended timeframe. You can use financial aid and university, college and externally-sourced scholarships to fund your experience on one of our credit-bearing programs.
Exchange & University-based Programs
Typically a semester or academic year in length, these are often the most immersive and affordable type of international experience. Integrated into a host university's academic model and student community, students can take a broad range of courses that can be applied to their NR degree. These programs are great options for NR majors, and OSU offers an expansive list of options around the world. Some popular options for previous NR students include:
- University of Canterbury (New Zealand)
- University of British Columbia (BC, Canada)
- Bangor University (Wales)
- University College Cork (Ireland)
- Lincoln University (New Zealand)
- Deakin University (Australia)
Check out all of OSU's exchange universities.
These short-term programs are popular as they are typically offered over Spring, Winter, or Summer breaks and can fit easily into most degree plans. They are led by OSU faculty around a specific theme or focus. COF offers several faculty-led programs annually (or every other year) that have been specifically designed for our students. Check out:
- Mountains to the Sea: Ecosystems of Chile
- The Salmon Coast: Forest + Resource Management for Sustainability in Canada
- Oil Palms + Orangutans: Forest Conservation in Malaysian Borneo
- Land of the Long White Cloud: Ecosystems of New Zealand
- Ridge to Reef: Sustainable Resource Management in Palau
- Costa Rica: An Immersion in Culture + Nature
- Tradition + Innovation in the Wood Construction Industry: A Journey in the Italian Alps
Check out all of OSU's faculty-led program offerings.
See how these programs fit within your major requirements!
Internships & Research
International internships allow students to pursue professional-level work experience overseas while receiving academic credit. Most internships are a minimum of ten weeks in duration and can take place any time of the year. The College of Forestry and partner programs offer internships in Natural Resources all over the world.
- Visit the COF International Internships page to learn about current offerings and the application process.
- Visit our Stories Blog to read about other NR students who have interned around the world!
- Look into IE3 Global Internships as well!
Learn about the experiences of some other Natural Resource majors who went abroad on one of our programs!
Shelby Knight in Chile (internship)
Ben Carson in Borneo (faculty-led program)
Blair Ruffing in Ireland (internship and study abroad)