OSU's College of Forestry has an extensive global network. Students in Forestry, FE, and FE/CE have unique opportunities to gain work experience while learning about diverse practices, innovative research, and challenges impacting the world's forests.
With advanced planning with your academic and study abroad advisors, you can fulfill degree requirements while staying on track for graduation in your intended timeframe. You can use financial aid and university, college and externally-sourced scholarships to fund your experience on one of our credit-bearing programs.
Exchange & University-based Programs
Typically a semester or academic year in length, these are often the most immersive and affordable type of international experience. Integrated into a host university's academic model and student community, students can take a broad range of courses that can be applied to their degree. OSU offers an expansive list of partner universities around the world. Some popular options with strong Forestry and Forest Engineering programs are:
- University of Canterbury (New Zealand)
- University of British Columbia (BC, Canada)
- Bangor University (Wales)
- École Supérieure du Bois (France)
- Université Laval (Quebec, Canada) *in French* - Email Kerry Menn if you are interested!
Check out all of OSU's exchange universities here.
These short-term programs are popular as they are typically offered over Spring, Winter, or Summer breaks and can fit easily into most degree plans. They are led by OSU faculty around a specific theme or focus. Some good options for Forestry and FE students are:
- Mountains to the Sea: Ecosystems of Chile
- Tradition and Innovation in the Wood Construction Industry: A Journey in the Italian Alps
- Oil Palms + Orangutans: Forest Conservation in Malaysian Borneo
- Land of the Long White Cloud: Ecosystems of New Zealand
- Household Energy in Guatemala
- Costa Rica: An Immersion in Culture + Nature
Check out all of OSU's faculty-led program offerings here.
Internships & Research
International internships allow students to pursue professional-level work experience overseas while receiving academic credit and meeting requirements for work experience. Most internships are a minimum of ten weeks in duration and can take place any time of the year. The College of Forestry and partner programs offer internships in Forestry and Forest Engineering in several countries around the world.
- Visit the COF International Internships page to learn about current offerings and the application process.
- Visit our Stories Blog to read about fellow students who have interned around the world!
- Consider opportunities with IE3 Global Internships as well!