OSU's College of Forestry has an extensive global network. Students in Forestry, FE, and FE/CE have unique opportunities to gain work experience while learning about diverse practices, innovative research, and challenges impacting the world's forests.
With advanced planning with your academic and study abroad advisors, you can fulfill degree requirements while staying on track for graduation in your intended timeframe. You can use financial aid and university, college and externally-sourced scholarships to fund your experience on one of our credit-bearing programs.
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE! HEST 242/542: “Household Energy In Guatemala” 3-credit Field Course -- Info Session January 28th
Students from any major are invited to travel to Guatemala for 10 days in September 2020 to learn about the household energy poverty facing 40% of the world’s families and the technologies and policies that can help to address it. Multiple scholarships are available to cover the in-country course fees. Please join the humanitarian engineering program for an info session on the course January 28th at 5:00 pm in 226 Rogers Hall. More details on the info session are here and details about the past course here. Please contact the course leader, Asst. Prof. of mechanical engineering Dr. Nordica MacCarty, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
Exchange & University-based Programs
Typically a semester or academic year in length, these are often the most immersive and affordable type of international experience. Integrated into a host university's academic model and student community, students can take a broad range of courses that can be applied to their degree. OSU offers an expansive list of partner universities around the world. Some popular options with strong Forestry and Forest Engineering programs are:
- University of Canterbury (New Zealand)
- University of British Columbia (BC, Canada)
- Bangor University (Wales)
- École Supérieure du Bois (France)
- Université Laval (Quebec, Canada) *in French*
Check out all of OSU's exchange universities here.
These short-term programs are popular as they are typically offered over Spring, Winter, or Summer breaks and can fit easily into most degree plans. They are led by OSU faculty around a specific theme or focus. COF offers several faculty-led programs annually (or every other year) that have been specifically designed for our students:
- Land of the Long White Cloud: Ecosystems of New Zealand
- Oil Palms + Orangutans: Forest Conservation in Malaysian Borneo
- Tradition and Innovation in the Wood Construction Industry: A Journey in the Italian Alps
- Costa Rica: An Immersion in Culture + Nature
- Forest to Frame: Sustainable Manufacturing + Design in Alpine Europe
Check out all of OSU's faculty-led program offerings here.
Internships & Research
International internships allow students to pursue professional-level work experience overseas while receiving academic credit and meeting requirements for work experience. Most internships are a minimum of ten weeks in duration and can take place any time of the year. The College of Forestry and partner programs offer internships in Forestry and Forest Engineering in several countries around the world.
- Visit the COF International Internships page to learn about current offerings and the application process.
- Visit our Stories Blog to read about fellow students who have interned around the world!
- Consider opportunities with IE3 Global Internships as well!