October 21st-25th, 2019
CH2M Hill Alumni Center || Oregon State University
Join us for the Skyline Analysis and Unit Layout Workshop at OSU! Taught by experts Loren Kellogg, Jeff Wimer, and Francisca Belart, participants will benefit from 5 days of instruction. Topics will include skyline systems, deflection and payload analysis using the Skyline XL software, unit planning and field layout. Additionally, participants will learn about intermediate supports, tailtrees, corridor layout, anchors, landing design, and safety. Field demonstrations and participant experience with the OSU Koller 501 student logging operations and related skyline thinning layout field exercises will help participants take away practical harvest planning skills that can be applied immediately on the job.
Registration Fee: $650
Registration includes refreshments during breaks, lunch, workshop materials, and transportation to field sites.
REGISTRATION IS FULL
Things to know
- All meals that occur during instruction time are included in the registration fee. You will be responsible for dinners (with the exception of Wednesday night).
- Oregon State has been designated "smoke-free". Please be respectful of that during your time at the workshop. For more information, including a Boundary Map (out of which smoking is permitted), see Tobacco-Free OSU.
- Oregon State has very strict parking rules on campus. Daily parking passes can be purchased ($10/day) on the Parking Services Website. If parking on campus, purchase a C Permit using the link above and park at Reser Stadium.
IMPORTANT! Please bring the following to the workshop:
- Clothing and footwear appropriate for field work
- Hard Hats
- Laptop computer with Skyline XL (Don’t have it? Download it from this page.)
- Cruiser Vests with supplies (marking pens, clinometer, compass, etc; We will have some limited supplies for those who are unable to bring their own)
- Brown and Kellogg (1996) (pdf)
- Cornell and Kellogg (2004) (pdf)
- Han and Kellogg (2000) (pdf)
- Kellogg, Miller, and Olsen (1999) (pdf)
- Oregon OSHA Yarding and Loading Handbook (pdf)
- Oregon OSHA Forest Activities
- Fallers Logging Safety (pdf)
- Naillon and Rappin (2019) (pdf)
- Amishev and Hunt (2018) (link)
- Boswell, Amishev, and Matute (2017) (pdf)
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, New Zealand (2012) (link)
- Sessions, et al. (2016) (pdf)
- Belart, et al. (2018) (pdf)