Visiting the College of Forestry as a Scholar or Intern

Please note:  This information is for visiting scholars to the College of Forestry, and for student interns who are coming to OSU for research (but are completing their studies elsewhere). If you are interested in pursuing a degree at Oregon State University, please visit our Undergraduate or Graduate Programs pages to learn about application and admission to OSU.


All visiting scholars and interns must find a sponsoring professor

To join the College of Forestry (CoF), you'll need to be directly in touch with a faculty member who is able to serve as your sponsor. If you don't already have such a contact here in CoF, please visit the main College of Forestry website and identify a member of the College whose academic discipline aligns with your research agenda. The College of Forestry's searchable directory is available here. You may contact this person directly to discuss your plans. If you need assistance, please contact Kerry Menn in the CoF International Programs Office.


Please click on the buttons below for a PDF document of the application process.


About the J-1 program

Curious about the J-1 Visitor Program? Here is an explanation of who may become a J-1 visitor, how long each type may stay, and resources for scholars with dependents.

About the J-1 process

This page covers the J-1 application process, including the online application portal. While many of the information on this page is for sponsoring professors, there is some information that can be useful to visiting scholars and students as well.

Finding a sponsoring professor

This page contains tips and information on how to find a sponsoring professor.




Resources for Sponsoring Professors here.