Believing that knowledge of the world beyond our national borders is essential to a well-educated citizenry, the College of Forestry is committed to expanding international learning opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. The awards described below have been put in place to assist students in pursuing their interests through international study, research, internships, and other collaborative experiences. Please note that the award ranges listed are estimates only, and actual awards depend on student achievement, financial profile, cost of program, and availability of funds.
Award types and ranges
Students attend classes at a partner university overseas; living and learning is with host university students. Students pay OSU tuition plus overseas living/travel expenses.
4 – 6 months
Study Abroad Program/Intensive Language Program
Students are part of a stand-alone learning group of US students in a specific location; they may or may not have classes with local university students.
2 – 3 months
Students participate in a professional work experience coordinated through the College of Forestry Internship or IE3 Global Internship programs. Satifies required work experience in CoF degrees.
Short-term, Faculty-Led Programs
Students are part of a cohort-based group led by COF or other OSU faculty members to a single or multiple locations.
Less than one term
$300 - $1000
Independent learning experience
Students are involved in research or other international activities not listed above; you must discuss this option with the Director of International Programs to ensure it is eligible for funding support. Can include conference attendance, if student is presenting/participating in poster session.
Varies; up to $2500
Don't see your experience included here? Please be in touch with Rachael Fahrenbach (email@example.com) to discuss your international plans.
NOTE ABOUT VIRTUAL INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCES: The events of 2020 have taught us that we are deeply interconnected with people and ecosystems around the globe. Even when we cannot travel, it does not mean that global connections and experiences are not unavailable or unimportant! In this spirit, the Dean's Fund for International Engagement committee will continue accepting applications for virtual experiences of an international nature. These could be online conferences, internships, or study programs. In your narrative section, please be sure to specifically address how this experience will still connect you with international peers and mentors.
Once students have submitted applications, a committee from the college convenes to review all applications and award funding. Not all award amounts will be the same. The following criteria are taken into consideration:
- GPA (all scholarships require a MINIMUM of a 2.5 GPA for eligibility)
- Transcripts and academic courses taken
- Financial need (information is requested from the OSU Financial Aid Office, and considered along with students’ own need statements)
- Letter of reference from a faculty member
- Previous international experience
- Candidates must have a clean student conduct record
- Duration of stay abroad
- Program cost/fee, travel costs (airfare, visa expenses, immunizations), living expenses
- Research equipment, additional logisitcal costs (if applicaple)
- Relation of program/experience to COF’s strategic priorities to enhance and expand the worldwide impact of the College of Forestry and tackle critical global issues through international education and collaboration
These are the steps to submitting an application for COF awards:
- You will need to complete the COF Dean’s Investment Fund Award Application Form by the deadline indicated below.
- Submit an unofficial transcript.
- A letter of reference from an OSU faculty member must be submitted on your behalf. You can upload the letter to your application, or your reference can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a copy of your most recent financial aid award letter. If you do not apply for/receive aid, please be sure to explain the rationale for this in your financial statement on the application.
- If you have received one, please include a copy of your acceptance letter to the international program you have chosen; OR a letter of invitation from the organization/individual with which/whom you will be working. These documents will be required before any funds are released to you.
Your Award Letter will provide details on how you will recieve the funds. Some awards are deposited directly into Student Accounts. Other awards are made as a reimbursement of agreed-upon costs up to the total amount awarded. In the case of a reimbursement, a receipt for the expense(s) will be required. Funding awards will follow COF and OSU approved travel/reimbursement policy. If a student is claiming reimbursement from more than one funding source, the International Engagement award must be used to cover costs not covered elsewhere.
The award will be disbursed during the term you are abroad, not necessarily before your program begins.
Applications MUST be completed by these deadlines to be considered for funding. Plan ahead!
Please note that it is not necessary to have been accepted into a program before you apply.
- January 10 for international experiences beginning in Spring Break or Spring term (late March - early June)
- April 1 for international experiences beginning in Summer term (late June - August)
- June 1 for international experiences beginning in Fall term (Sept - Dec)
- November 1 for international experiences beginning in Winter term (Jan - early March)
Students MAY submit an application for an earlier deadline if their international plans are set, and they would like to be considered for an earlier award decision.
Applicants will be notified of awards within six weeks of the application deadline.
Check out these tips and tricks for the application process!