IN 1956, when the school history "50 Years of Forestry" was published, enrollment in the School totaled 317. The 25,380 square feet available in the Forestry Building did not seem too inadequate. After all, the building had handled enrollments of over 500 back in the late 30's. The only expansion in space available to the school proper had been two quonset huts, added right after World War II when the returning G.I.'s had made the building bulge. By the start of the 60's, however, people were beginning to plan for the big "baby boom" caused by the end of the war and the returning armies.
Planning for a new building was started, but before it came to fruition, both the School faculty and building space took an unexpected jump. the Forest Research Laboratory, a new facility for forest research built on campus in 1956 but administered by a separate state committee, "The Forest Protection and Conservation Committee", was transferred by legislative act to the University and became a part of the School of Forestry. This transfer occurred in 1961 and instantly added 40,000 sq. ft. of research area available to the School.
Then, three years later in 1964, more facilities were added when the Oregon State Department of Forestry transferred their forest nursery operations south to Elkton and entered into an agreement with the School. This agreement canceled the lease the State Department of Forestry had on some School property and, in addition, turned over control of all state nursery facilities in the area. With this move the School suddenly had not only a complete nursery at its disposal but also was in control of four residences and 10,000 sq. ft. more of warehouses, shops and office space.
BY 1968, the "lands" research program had grown out of their office and lab space. A new wing was constructed onto the Forest Research Laboratory. This new wing of laboratories and offices contained an additional 10,690 square feet of space.
At the same time the new lab wing was being built, the planning and ground-work was going ahead for a new teaching facility to replace the "Old Forestry Building," which by now was definitely too small.
The 1967 legislature gave approval to the State Board of Higher Education to proceed, and the "New Building Committee" headed by Bill West did just that. As is usual, in times of rising prices, public buildings that go the route of legislative action, board rulings, federal match monies and competitive bidding take so long to go to bid that when bids are finally opened - costs have already outstripped the available funds. The School's new building was no exception.
The only reason the building stands today, completed as originally designed, is noted on a bronzed plaque just inside the entry. The inscription reads "Construction of this building was made possible by the generous and timely gift of Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Stewart".
PHYSICAL PLANT, aided by the faculty, moved the School into the new quarters during the summer of 1971 in time to start the new fall term. Peavy Hall, the official name, was dedicated in February 1972; all visitors at that time were given a fact sheet.