Facilities and Resources
College of Forestry educational and research programs make extensive use of a variety of educational and research locations. On campus buildings designed and built exclusively for forestry and natural resources, and off campus areas both provide a unique learning environment for our students. Additionally, Corvallis is one of the largest forestry and natural resources research centers in America. College neighbors include the Forest Sciences Laboratory of the U.S. Forest Service, the Western Ecology Division of the EPA, the Forest & Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center of the U.S. Geological Survey, and the College of Agriculture's Departments of Rangeland, and Fish & Wildlife. The cooperative work of these scientists and educators exposes students to timely issues, and provides employment opportunities.
This facility honors the founder of the OSU forestry program, George Peavy, and is the home of the Forest Resources, Natural Resources and Forest Engineering programs. This 84,000 square foot building houses most of the College classrooms, general computing laboratories, specialized laboratories and central administrative services. Also located here are conference/study areas, graduate student offices, and student support functions.
This facility opened in 1999 and was constructed with a gift from Kaye Richardson, a prominent Oregon forester. The Departments of Wood Science & Engineering and Forest Science are located in this 100,000 square foot building. This building was designed with research as a focus and provides a range of laboratories for innovative work in forest biology and wood manufacturing/use. The building also supports a GIS computing classroom/laboratory, a distance education broadcast classroom, student lounge areas and the only USDA APHIS certified Containment Laboratory in Oregon.
Oak Creek Complex
This facility houses some of the larger Wood Science laboratory equipment and provides space for research project and field support equipment. It also serves as a plant growth area with both planting beds and greenhouses. The Project and Maintenance Unit and College Purchasing both reside at this location.
McDonald-Dunn Forest and Peavy Arboretum
A 15 minute drive delivers students to 11,000 acres of College Forest. This actively managed land provides an outdoor classroom for a number of OSU majors, plots for large and small research projects, and recreation opportunities for all residents of the area.
HJ Andrews Experimental Forest and Long Term Ecological Research Site
This 16,000-acre site is located in the western Cascade mountains of Oregon and administered cooperatively by Oregon State University, the USDA Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Research Station, and the Willamette National Forest. The Andrews Forest has been a US Forest Service Experimental Forest since 1948 and a National Science Foundation Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) site since 1980. Facilities, including labs, offices, and housing, are available for research and conference use. See the Andrews Forest webpage for ways to connect.
Forestry Club Cabin
This log cabin, built in 1949 by Forestry students and faculty, is the social center for Forestry student organizations and alumni gatherings. Located at Peavy Arboretum, the cabin provides a focal point for meetings, meals, logging sports, and developing lifelong friendships.
Outdoor Natural Areas
Within a 90 mile radius from the OSU campus students can find a wide diversity of forestlands, fields, and wetlands for study and recreation. From lush coastal forests of fir, cedar and hemlock, to valley watersheds of oak and marshes, to high desert stands of pine there are opportunities to learn on both public and private lands. These areas include the Willamette National Forest, the Siuslaw National Forest, the Deschutes National Forest, State of Oregon Forests, Oregon State Parks, and the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest.